Giving up and making it in UE/Unity yet?

obviously not NC but taking the backbone of it and making similar (not reusing IP)

a lot of time wasted so far chaps with no end in sight?

Personally a similar premis, cell shaded, stylised easy to model variant would be cool and relatively easy to create (in comparisson to this). Wouldnt have to be open world to start with (as NC isn’t technically open world).

Thoughts?

The issue is not the graphics…the issue is the lack of developers. Give me 4 guys who would dedicate their time to working on NC for the next 6 months for literally no money and this would be all done.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately you bit off more than you can chew. You could have made a much better version in much much MUCH less time than this under a SIMILAR design, which would have been close enough for us old NCers.

The ignorance of you guys has been its downfall. Trying to recode an entire dogshit engine was an insane design “choice”.

Sorry.

We did not know what we walked into until we saw the code. Anybody could “Bite off more than they can chew” if they are walking into a situation blindly. We had 3 coders that made massive amounts of progress with the code the way it used to sit. We took a heap of shit and made it compile, then we fixed the security holes, then we fixed the patching process. It was a lot of work that was accomplished by 3 people… unfortunately one decided to bite off more then THEY could chew and attempt a rewrite of the netcode, which was the communities number one request, and quickly got burnt out when he realized it would be a rewrite of the entire game minus the rendering engine. He left shortly after and it was down to two developers.

The two developers who remained reached out and picked up more devs, however we have brought on and lost probably around 15 people who got into the project, were told they cannot have ALL The source up front until they complete the projects we handed them, and left. Some joined the team and then never signed online again. It burnt out Therenall and then it was left to me.

We picked up two good devs who remain on the team to this day, but their daily jobs have them so busy right now that they have no time for a side project. At this time, the status of the project is on hold. We continue to run and maintain the server and pay all the bills out of pocket.

The whole purpose of this project was to bring back NC1 – We can’t do that without the game resources. The whole drive behind the community was Old Models, Old Maps, Old RPOS, Old playstyle. How could we ever accomplish this without ANY of those things being allowed to be used outside of KK’s codebase?

We are not allowed to change engines, we are not allowed to use the resources outside of the original engine. We are operating within our license. Apologies if following the terms of the license agreement appears as ignorant, but we simply cannot just take a hard left and go rogue on this one.

The code is all there, we have a lack of developers. If we had 4 developers giving 20 hours a week each, we could wrap this whole project up and push to retail in a month. We have 0 at this current time. COVID has hit our jobs hard and we are all picking up the slack from people either quitting to collect unemployment or freaking dying.

You aren’t sorry, so why even bother to apologize? You sit here and insult us without knowing anything that is going on. How many applications have you turned in to work on this project? How many developers have you sent our way who would stay and work on the project and dedicate some time to it? I’ll tell you how many, zero. You are not sorry… the community demands and expects things like an entitled brat. The whole community is a toxic shithole and honestly I don’t know why we continue working on the project. Our time and effort in this project has been met with name calling, insults, personal attacks on us and our families, all over a fucking video game. Its no wonder the other developers have all but left our Discord and put this shit stain behind them. The community is the worst part about this game and no amount of developing and patching will ever fix that.

1 Like

You call us ignorant but then suggest rewriting the entire thing in another engine would be better than what we’re currently trying to do?

First off, you don’t even know what we’re trying to do. We’re not trying to “recode an entire dogshit engine”.

Second, you’re implying that remaking the game from the ground up in a new engine would take less. That’s not the case, it would take even more work, both programmatically and graphically, no matter what style you pick.

The issue isn’t how much work there is to do. The issue is time and motivation. I don’t have time to do what I need to do on it now, let alone rewriting the entire thing. If I had the time to do that the game would be done by now lol.

I’m not saying you didnt/don’t work hard. I’m saying you’re in over your heads; which is true whether you agree or not.

I know your hands are tied due to IP legalities. However, it doesnt take much brain power to make a SIMILAR game in another engine.

The code is all there, we have a lack of developers . If we had 4 developers giving 20 hours a week each, we could wrap this whole project up and push to retail in a month

20 hours a week dedication for a project of love isn’t much to ask. You’re meant to be doing this because you really want to do it, not for money or praise.

The whole purpose of this project was to bring back NC1 – We can’t do that without the game resources. The whole drive behind the community was Old Models, Old Maps, Old RPOS, Old playstyle.

You instantly changed aggie cellars etc.

It was a lot of work that was accomplished by 3 people… unfortunately one decided to bite off more then THEY could chew and attempt a rewrite of the netcode, which was the communities number one request, and quickly got burnt out when he realized it would be a rewrite of the entire game minus the rendering engine.

Oh right isnt that what i said in my post? You (read: the team) bit off more than you could chew. You’re a team take it like a team.

We picked up two good devs who remain on the team to this day, but their daily jobs have them so busy right now that they have no time for a side project. At this time, the status of the project is on hold. We continue to run and maintain the server and pay all the bills out of pocket.

I suggest you save some money and take the server down until there’s updates that a worthy of putting it back up. If the status is on hold i suggest you tell the community (not that anyone even comes here any more).

First off, you don’t even know what we’re trying to do. We’re not trying to “recode an entire dogshit engine”.

Oh right, what are you doing then? You’ve been working on this project for something like 4 years… Do what you want to the game but it’s core networking issues mean it’s absolutely pointless and i get working on things in parrallel gets things done faster, but didn’t Wizard leave with all his “netcode work”?

The issue isn’t how much work there is to do. The issue is time and motivation. I don’t have time to do what I need to do on it now, let alone rewriting the entire thing. If I had the time to do that the game would be done by now lol.

Exactly my point, you’re in over your heads. You don’t have the time or capabilities to get the job done in some sort of timely manner.

You aren’t sorry, so why even bother to apologize? You sit here and insult us without knowing anything that is going on.

Maybe keep us up to date then? That way we can understand what’s happening and even try and help in anyway possible. I’m sorry that you don’t have the ability to manage the project properly.

Ban me if you like and makes you feel better, it honestly doesn’t make any difference to me.

I tried to support this project from the outset, yet a bit of truth gets you so defensive and butthurt, it’s fine, i’m just one person on the internet.

Both of your posts have only solidified my point. I know it makes me a bit of an arse for pointing it out but man, just own it. It’s fine, people mess up all the time.

I may have no responded to some of your points cos i got bored, i’ve already wasted enough time with this pointless conversation.

In all seriousness though, i hope everyone is safe and well and fighting hard to get through these tough times. There is light at the end of the tunnel (for the pandemic obviously, not NCC).

I know your hands are tied due to IP legalities. However, it doesnt take much brain power to make a SIMILAR game in another engine.

No shit. We know that. We could make a similar game in a different engine, but then we would need to:

• Find people to make all of the assets
  • Find people to help code all of the game mechanics, networking, client/server applications, etc.

It would be far more work than just fixing what we already have.

20 hours a week dedication for a project of love isn’t much to ask. You’re meant to be doing this because you really want to do it, not for money or praise.

That would essentially either be all of my free time during the week, or most of my weekend. And yet that’s not much to ask?

I don’t see you coming on here and trying to find a way you can pledge 20 hours a week to this project.

Oh right, what are you doing then? You’ve been working on this project for something like 4 years… Do what you want to the game but it’s core networking issues mean it’s absolutely pointless and i get working on things in parrallel gets things done faster, but didn’t Wizard leave with all his “netcode work”?

No, he didn’t. We have his netcode. The problem is he bit off more than he could chew and allowed that project to scope creep into an entire service layer, including authentication layer, game networking logic, and all this other stuff. It was cool shit, and something he was making a lot of progress on that would have been awesome, but he wasn’t able to finish it, and frankly it’s at a scale we don’t really need. Now he’s got his masters, is out of university, has a fairly busy job and IRL stuff going, plus he got burnt out on programming.

Exactly my point, you’re in over your heads. You don’t have the time or capabilities to get the job done in some sort of timely manner.

I’ll agree with you on the time, at least for me personally. I have the capability to fix the netcode, I don’t have the time to fix the netcode. It’s definitely doable without rewriting the entire game.

even try and help in anyway possible.

Awesome, you want to help? Can you write C++? As I recall you’ve never applied before, despite at various points bringing topics like this up.

I have no problem admitting I don’t have time to do things. I’ve said it a bunch of times. My problem is people, like yourself who come in here giving us shit, acting like “Duh just make a similar game in a different engine!” is somehow going to fix that we don’t have the manpower to fix what we have.

I tried to support this project from the outset,

When? Is this like “thoughts and prayers” help, or actual tangible help? We’ve tried picking up community help, we have a lower barrier of entry than the NST had even. We expected, with how much the community complains about the progress of the NST, there must be people out there willing to help. And we did get some great people, mostly content.

We’ve had one developer from the community who actually stuck around and produced something on the source, which allowed us to get into mapping, which was Zodiac. He’s still here but busy. And we had one guy who was around for a bit, helped with some tooling, helped get one thing working in the engine, and then had to take his leave. Outside of that? Every single one got accepted to the team, then vanished. Every single one. We didn’t give them shit. We didn’t make them work on some tiny portion of the code without much information. We didn’t make them jump through hoops. We didn’t do something like “here you go rewrite the netcode”. We were polite, respectful, offered to help them set things up and get going, showed them a list of active issues and let them take their pick. Essentially nobody stuck around.

Out of the entire community we’ve had over the time, we’ve probably had at least 10 people apply for and get a development position working on source, and only two of them actually stayed and did anything, and one of those two mostly did tooling and then had to leave.

I may have no responded to some of your points cos i got bored, i’ve already wasted enough time with this pointless conversation.

Then what are you even here for, really? What’s the point?

Ban me if you like and makes you feel better, it honestly doesn’t make any difference to me.

Can’t speak for Lykos but I have no interest in banning you, though unless your response actually brings anything meaningful to the table (should you even respond), then I’ll probably just take my leave of this conversation.

I don’t care to ban you, that is what you want it seems and since I’m no good at giving people what they want I suppose I shall fail you there.

Apologies sir that we didn’t meet your expectations for a free game and community driven project. We will do better next time. You can find your refund here :fu:

Also not butt hurt, just speaking facts :slight_smile: but call it what you want. I haven’t seen your application in my inbox yet, are you prepared to give 20 hours a week?